Every year there is something new at the Richardson Farm “World’s Largest” Corn Maze. The Richardson family is currently moving the historic English Prairie School ¼ mile down the road to their farm.
The first English Prairie School was built on the site in 1846. It was replaced with a brick schoolhouse in 1929 and all 5 of the 5th generation Richardson’s attended this one-room school. Local children attended class here until 1962 when the building was converted into a private residence.
George Richardson in the doorway at English Prairie School
The Richardson family heard the building was slated for demolition and decided to preserve this piece of history. It is no easy task to move an estimated 188 tons building. A company specializing in relocating buildings has lifted the school on a trailer to be rolled along 2 block journey.
It was too costly to move the basement walls also, so the Richardson’s are moving the main floor only and setting it on a traditional basement with 9′ walls. The English Prairie School will be ready for visitors at its new location on English Prairie Road in 2013.
Read more about Richardson’s World Largest Corn Maze and Adventure Farm